Table of Contents
What is a Pellet Making Machine?
Also known as a pellet press, this equipment produces dense wood pellets from low-density raw materials. Essentially, it turns biomass into biofuel. The pellets provide fuel for indoor heating, cooking, and industrial machinery.
Globally, the demand for wood pellets machines and wood pellets is rising, especially in regions that need indoor heating during winter. Estimations show that the value of the wood pellets market will grow to $ 31 Billion by 2030.
Most raw materials for making wood pellets are waste products from the environment, such as forests and farms. Some of the raw materials are;
- Low-quality wood
Types of Pellet Making Machines
The mechanisms used to produce wood pellets differ from one type of pellet machine to the next one. Some of the classifications include;
1. Type of Fuel Used
Homemade wood pellet-making machines function using different types of power sources such as;
2. Ring Die Mills vs. Flat Die Mills
Compression mechanisms of raw materials in the feeder stokes differentiate the type of pellet machine used. The flat die mills are more suitable for homemade wood pellet makers. On the other hand, ring die mills are ideal for industrial wood pellet makers.
Flat die mills are further classified into two depending on whether it is the die or the roller that rotates.
3. Household Machines vs. Industrial Production Machines
The demand for wood pellets determines the type of pellet maker you will purchase. For household demands, a homemade wood pellet machine is convenient. On the other hand, a complete wood pellet machine plant produces wood pellets on a large scale.
How to Use a Homemade Pellet Machine
Follow the following steps to make wood pellets using a small-scale pellet maker;
- First, turn on the pellet-making machine.
- Add the raw materials according to the correct ratio, 65% of the degradable raw materials, 20% sand, and 15% waste oil.
- The raw materials will convey into the working room, then spread on the millstone.
- Rotation, rolling, and squeezing occur, shaping the mass into a cylindrical shape.
- Finally, the mass gets cut into pellets that do not need further molding.
How to use a Complete Plant Wood Pellet Machine?
Within an hour, a small wood pellet plant produces about 200-700 Kilograms of pellets, while a large wood pellet plant produces about 1-6 Tonnes. Follow the following steps to make wood pellets using the complete plant machine;
- Prepare raw materials for processing by cutting them into similar shapes and smaller sizes.
- Take the raw materials into the drier using the conveyer belt.
- Afterward, the grounding of the raw materials takes place in the silo.
- Cooling and storage take place. A quick cooling process improves the quality of the pellets.
Wood Pellet Making Machine Cost
A pellet machine for sale may vary in cost depending on the machine’s location, type, and size. The industrial plant involves the crusher, drier, pellet maker, cooler, and packaging systems. Set-up costs of a complete wood pellet machine may range from $ 3-4 million.
The cost may depend on whether the equipment is new or used. Shipment costs may also cause a significant difference in the purchasing costs.
Wood Pellet Machine Maintenance
Wood pellet makers need constant maintenance and proper use to reap maximum benefits. A machine in good condition also lasts longer, saving money instead of purchasing a new machine now and then.
The following tips will help to keep a wood pellet-making machine in good condition for an extended period;
- Prepare the raw materials before putting them in the machine.
Avoid dryness and dampness, which tamper with the processing of the materials. Ensure that the water content of the materials is between 14-20%.
Adjust the size of the raw materials to avoid blocking the holes in the machine. Cut the materials to be less than 5mm.
Increase the adhesiveness of low adhesive materials by adding sawdust.
- After use, prepare the pellet maker for subsequent use. Run a mixture of oil and biodegradable mass in the machine for about 2 minutes.
- Remove complex objects from the raw materials to protect dies and rollers from damage.
- Clean the bearing of all dust because it lacks a dust filter. Proceed to lubricate it after every 2-5 hours of use to reduce friction.
- Replace worn-out parts of the machine, such as the rollers and dies on time to prevent further damage.
- Power source voltage should equal the machine’s capacity to work efficiently. Lower power will reduce pellets’ quality, while excess energy will wear out the device quickly.
- Place the wood pellet-making machine in a safe place. It should be kept away from the rain and fires and in an area that is freely accessible for use.
Advantages of Using a Wood Pellet Making Machine
Biomass energy helps in the conservation of the environment. Using raw waste materials such as sawdust and unusable wood to make wood pellets helps save forests. Using wood pellets does not add to the greenhouse gases emitted by other energy sources, such as petroleum products.
Economically, wood pellets are more affordable as compared to electricity and gas. Commercial wood pellet production helps individuals to grow economically as the market for pellets is available.
Wood pellets are manageable in terms of storage and transportation since they are dense.
Solutions to Problems when using a pellet machine
- Pellets may not get formed after you put the raw materials in the machine.
First, do not add more raw materials into the compressor to avoid breaking the machine. Check if the moisture content of the raw materials is ideal and adjust it accordingly. Replace the roller bearing if it is damaged.
Unblock the die holes with a drill if they are blocked.
- Loud noise and vibrations when the machine is working
Check if the pellet machine has broken parts and replace them, such as the bearing, die, and roller. Clean the modulator to eliminate objects which could be affecting the functioning of the pellet machine.
- The machine doesn’t work when switched on.
Turn off the power first. Then clear the compression chamber of all particles. Also, check if the circuit is faulty.
- Low pellet yield
Adjust the ratio of mixing the raw materials to be correct. Check if the moisture content and current supply are accurate and fix the problems accordingly.