The short and sweet answer to this is a big YES! If the entertainment industry excites you and you wish to pursue a career in the industry, there is no better way than to obtain a film degree. Luckily you don’t have to be in Hollywood to make it big in digital filmmaking, you have plenty of courses available in India as well.
Here is everything you should know about making a career in digital filmmaking in 2021:
What is digital filmmaking?
Digital filmmaking is the process of capturing motion pictures using digital technology, such as digital cameras or creating digital characters and environments completely within a computer.
Today, filmmaker or film directors are very high in demand. Typically, because the demand for entertainment has risen sharply. Moreover, digital streaming and online platforms have made it easy for people to consume content from the comfort of their homes and offices. Consequently, this has led aspiring filmmakers to make films and series that they believe in.
Digital filmmaking in 2021
Digital filmmaking is an emerging filmmaking trend. And, it is expected to grow exponentially in 2021 and the years to come. It promises not just a great career to satiate your creativity but is also a lucrative career choice. Everyone – from massive banners to smaller production houses – is realising the value of a good filmmaker.
Here are some ways that can help you carve a niche in the digital filmmaking world:
- A solid education in filmmaking and a showreel or short film to show as a demo, for starters.
- Careers within the film industry are notoriously competitive and you’ll need resilience and determination to succeed.
- Gain practical experience of film production and obtain expertise in handling the various roles and responsibilities of a filmmaker
- Working as a runner to support the unit on film sets, is a smart way to learn about the production process and establish a good network in the industry.
- Make use of the projects you take on at university to build up a portfolio of work. There may be opportunities for work experience or field trips both in India and overseas as part of your degree course. You could also volunteer to assist at local film festivals.
- Showcase your work to industry professionals at every opportunity, for example, at competitions and festivals. Make the most of all opportunities to network and develop your contacts.
- You can choose to work on a freelance basis across a range of short-term projects.
- You can also set up your own company. You’ll need to be proactive in looking for opportunities and build up a network of contacts. Be prepared to continue your learning to keep up to date with technological developments and secure work.
Jobs directly related to your degree include:
- Film director
- Film/video editor
- Lighting technician, broadcasting/film/video
- Location manager
- Media researcher
- Music producer
- Runner, broadcasting/film/video
- Sound technician, broadcasting/film/video
- Television/film/video producer
Jobs where your degree would be useful include:
- Broadcast engineer
- Broadcast journalist
- Sound engineer
- Special effects technician
- Television camera operator
- Television floor manager
- Television production coordinator
- VFX artist
There are also opportunities within the broader creatives industries, as well as other sectors. Typical employers include:
- Advertising, PR and other creative companies
- Corporate business
- Marketing companies
All in all, it is a wonderful time to step into the field of digital filmmaking and make a name for yourself. There is absolutely no dearth of work in the industry and from a long-term perspective, digital filmmaking is a great career choice given how our online habits are transforming the way we consume video content.
Explore a career in digital filmmaking with the help of renowned institutions like Pearl Academy. At Pearl, you can learn various aspects of filmmaking, like direction, production, screenwriting and more, from the top leaders and industry veterans.