The Portugal Golden Visa program allows non-EU and non-EEA citizens to reside and work in Portugal by investment. One of the options to apply for the Portugal Golden Visa is investing in the investment fund Portugal. This is a relatively new way to obtain residency in Portugal when compared to other investment alternatives.
More than 10,000 people became residents in Portugal through the Golden Visa in 2012, providing a capital flow of over €6 billion into Portugal over the years in between.
Portuguese Golden Visa Investment Fund, on the other hand, got among the investment options in 2017. To obtain a Golden Visa through this investment option, you’re required to invest at least €500,000 in units of investment funds or venture capital funds and then submit the required documents. Your family members can also relocate with you through the Portugal Golden Visa Fund investment program.
Table of Contents
Who’s Eligible for the Golden Visa Portugal Investment Fund?
You need to meet a few requirements to be an eligible applicant for the Portugal Golden Visa Investment Fund. Find some of these requirements below:
- Being a citizen outside of the EU countries, the EEA region, and Switzerland
- Proving the source of your investment funds
- Proving you can deliver the investment amount you’re obliged to
- Having no criminal record
Advantages of the Portuguese Golden Visa Investment Fund
This particular residency by investment option has many advantages such as investment safety, and lower taxation. Here are some of the perks of the Portugal Golden Visa Investment Fund:
- The amount you need to invest is smaller compared to other investment options offered by the Golden Visa program, such as capital transfer
- You’ll pay lower taxes than you would if you’d invested in real estate in Portugal. With this type of investment, you’ll be free from annual municipal taxes, 6% of IMI transfer tax, 0,8% percent of stamp duty, and withholding tax
- With investment fund Portugal, your investment is safe because your funds are regulated by many authorities including the Bank of Portugal, an external fund management company, tax authorities, and the Portuguese Securities Market Commission (CMVM)
- You needn’t be concerned about your funds because they’ll be managed by fund managers
- Your funds may bring you capital appreciation alongside annual profits that the rates of which are higher than other investment options available for the Golden Visa
How to Apply for the Portugal Golden Visa Fund
You’re required to follow a series of steps to apply for the Portugal Golden Visa Investment Fund. Below are the main steps to being a valid applicant:
- Choosing the investment fund option that suits you the best
- Hiring an attorney
- Getting a Portuguese tax number
- Opening an account in a Portuguese bank
- Collecting the required documents, filling them out, and signing them
- Waiting for approval from your fund manager
- Investing your funds into the relevant fund account
- Deliver the required documents to your attorney
- Pay the fee for the Golden Visa application to the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (SEF)
- Enter Portugal and attend your biometrics appointment (with your family members if they are to be included in the program as well)
- Obtain your residence permit card from the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service
The residence permit that is obtained through the Portugal Golden Visa Investment Fund is valid for two years. If you meet the requirements at the end of that period, your residence permit can be renewed.
The Golden Visa Portugal Investment Fund offers more than just a residence permit. It offers you a high quality of life and safety, a chance to build a new life, and the opportunity to travel to the Schengen countries visa-free. Apply online and start getting ready for your new adventure in Portugal!