Today’s article is about Mushroom Risotto, a food from Northern Italy that is a symbol of tradition. Let’s read!
People all over the world love Italian food. Just thinking about that European country brings the idea of delicious pasta, pizzas, and lasagna anyone would like to taste in San Marco square in Venice or next to the Fontana di Trevi in the antique city of Rome.
An original Italian food you cannot forget to taste in case you travel to that wonderful country -or even make it at home- is Risotto. Risotto consists of a rice broth that can be accompanied by vegetables such as tomatoes, mushrooms and asparagus, in many cases, including veal meat and seafood.
Today you will learn how to prepare a typical Northern Italian dish, the famous mushroom Risotto or Risotto ai Funghi, and some interesting facts about this amazing dish. Also, this is a delicious dish you can surprise your guests with.
Table of Contents
Mushroom Risotto in an instant pot
- 2 pounds of white or cremini-type mushrooms, in thin slices.
- 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- 2 rough chopped or diced shallots.
- 1 1/2 cup of Arborio rice or short-grain rice. It’s preferable to use Arborio rice.
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine, or 1/2 cup of water and vinegar mix.
- 4 cups of vegetable or chicken broth.
- 1 tsp of sea salt.
- 4 tbsp of butter.
- 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese and an additional portion for serving
- 1 tbsp of chopped fresh parsley.
- In an instant pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the crushed or chopped onions. Keep frying the onions for 3 minutes until they get a brown color.
- Heat a skillet or iron cast over medium heat and add the sliced mushrooms on it. Once mushrooms start releasing liquid, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook until the mushrooms get that brownish color you want. You can add 1 tsp of butter or oil while roasting the mushrooms, although this is not entirely necessary. Reserve them for later.
- Add the rice to the instant pot and stir it until It gets well mixed with the oil and onions and add the wine or the vinegar and water mixture. Cook and stir it for 2 minutes or until the wine evaporates.
- Add the broth (it may be chicken or vegetable) to the rice and stir. Rice must be well submerged and blended with the stock.
- Cover the instant pot with the lid, select the “Manual” mode and cook the rice for 5 minutes (it will take about 10 minutes for the instant pot to reach the proper pressure and start to cook the rice).
- Once the rice is done, add salt, Parmesan cheese, butter, and the mushrooms into the rice. Stir this mixture until the cheese and butter have melted and then add the chopped parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
- Better if served on deep plates with a generous amount of coarsely grated Parmesan cheese on top.
And there you are, you have prepared a delicious Risotto ai Funghi to taste and enjoy!
For this and all Risotto recipes, using instant pot Arborio rice is highly recommended, due to its great characteristics when it’s cooking. It doesn’t get clumsy and contains high levels of starch.
What are the best companions for a mushroom Risotto?
Mushroom Risotto or Risotto ai Funghi doesn’t have protein content. However, smoked salmon is an excellent combination for this type of Risotto if you want a good protein intake. Do not forget to try Risotto with chicken and shrimp too.
Interesting facts about Risotto
- Risotto is a typical food from the Northwest of Italy, specifically from the Piedmont and Lombardy regions, near the French border, thanks to the abundance of rice crops in those areas.
- The original Risotto recipe only needs 4 ingredients: rice, broth, onion, and saffron.
- Risotto is mostly made with the best types of Italian rice, among which Carnaroli, Maratelli or Vialone Nano stand out for their high quality.
- Risotto recipes are quite easy, generally speaking, so anyone with average cooking skills can make an authentic Italian Risotto ai Funghi, alle vongole, or any other variety to surprise friends and family on special occasions.
Hello, I am a professional writer and blogger at Adclays.com. I love to explore the latest topics and write on those topics. I spend the maximum of my time on reading and writing interesting topics which provide valuable piece of information to my readers whether it comes to the latest fashion, technology, healthy lifestyle, business information, etc. Explore my writings by visiting the website.