Braces and other orthodontic treatments can help you get your beautiful smile back. There are many other benefits of wearing braces such as reduced risks of injuries due to protruding teeth, reduced chipping and grinding of teeth, reduced periodontal diseases and cavities, alleviation of speech impairment, and improved ability to chew food and easier to clean, brush and floss teeth.
A top rated orthodontist in Edmonton can help you in treating crossbites, underbites and overbites with clear braces in Edmonton. However, if you don’t follow proper oral hygiene practices, this can cause gum infection. To prevent the need for dentures in the future, you should make sure to go for a dental check up with dentists in avon lake ohio.
If you are wearing clear braces in Edmonton incorrectly or you have poor oral hygiene habits, this can lead to swollen gums. When you get dental braces for the first time, your mouth may take time to get used to them. You can avoid swollen gums by following your orthodontist’s advice. Keep in mind that swollen gums can lead to infection.
Clear Braces and Swollen Gums
When your orthodontist tightens your braces, this leads to pressure and tension that leads to swollen gums. This swelling is normal. However, if this does not heal within a week, this may be a sign of infection.
You may also develop hyperplasia or hypertrophy. This happens due to the overproduction of cells. This leads to enlarged or swollen gums. Book an appointment with your top rated orthodontist in Edmonton for solutions for treating hyperplasia or hypertrophy.
Clear braces are not directly responsible for causing gingivitis. However, your braces can be one of the factors causing gingivitis. Braces make it difficult to remove plaque. Food build-up and plaque lead to irritated and swollen gums.
Tips For Avoiding Swollen Gums Due To Braces
You can avoid infection and long-term swelling by following your orthodontist’s tips, doing proper oral hygiene, observing proper pain management and avoiding certain foods.
Here are some oral hygiene tips:
- Brush your teeth everyday using a soft brush. Brush once in the morning and once before going to bed.
- If you wear braces, flossing can be difficult. However, this is important for oral hygiene. Ask your orthodontist to show you the right way of flossing with braces. Don’t forget to floss after meals.
- Use a soft brush to massage your gums.
- Use a salt water rinse to wash your mouth.
- Avoid eating hard or crunchy foods. These foods can cause injuries and damage to your braces.
- Don’t chew tobacco or use any other tobacco product.
- Don’t smoke.
Here are some tips for pain management:
- Applying an ice pack can help.
- You can reduce swelling by drinking cold water.
- You can take medications for pain management only when prescribed by your orthodontist.
Wearing braces can cause swelling and infection if you don’t follow the instructions of your top rated orthodontist in Edmonton.
Originally posted 2021-07-22 18:33:49.