Rice is a very versatile food that can be enjoyed in many ways, and in Mexico, people know how to take advantage of it. This delicious yellow rice recipe, which you can easily prepare at home, is just one of so many of their typical meals.
A delicious recipe
Mexican food is characterized by the use of spices or spices, as well as by creating dishes with a variety of colors, textures, and flavors. When it comes to rice, Mexican cuisine has a delicious recipe that is worth trying at home, yellow rice.
For this recipe, you need quality rice that guarantees loose grains and absorbs the flavor of the other ingredients, such as mahatmarice.com/recipes/traditional-mexican-rice/, in this way it is possible to get a more delicious flavor by doing it with vegetables or peas.
Yellow rice is not the same as Spanish rice made in the United States, since recipes can vary from one area to another. However, this rice is perfect to serve not only with Mexican dishes but also South American and Caribbean, Indonesian, Indian, Spanish dishes, you can even eat alone.
It is white rice that is colored with turmeric or saffron during its preparation to acquire that yellow appearance. Although their recipes may vary, the similar concept is the same for all of them, so if you want to prepare this dish at home, you can follow the following recipe.
- Two tablespoons of olive oil.
- A very fine chopped onion.
- A small red pepper is finely chopped and seedless.
- Four cloves of chopped garlic.
- A cup of grain rice.
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth.
- A can of 8 OZ tomato sauce.
- A teaspoon of ground turmeric.
- A teaspoon of granulated garlic.
- A teaspoon of ground cumin.
- A teaspoon of oregano.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Method of preparation
- Pour the olive oil with the onion in a large pot, then toss in the red pepper and chopped garlic, and let cook over medium heat until the onion is clear.
- Add the rice and combine thoroughly with the sautéed mix for at least one minute.
- Add the tomato sauce along with the chicken broth, turmeric to give it the yellow look, as well as cumin, oregano, granulated garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cover the pot and place the heat on medium-low, allowing it to cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until you see the tender rice.
- After this time, fluff it a little with a fork and serve.
Rice preparation takes about 30 minutes, it requires no cooking experience and what’s best: all the ingredients are easily found in a grocery store.
What variations are there on yellow rice?
Yellow rice has a variety of preparations and combinations, this allows you to enjoy the same food in many ways. A very common way to enjoy rice is to add peas or frozen carrots while cooking, thus acquiring more color, texture, and additional nutrients. If you want to prepare it in the Cajun style, you should add chopped onion, red or green bell pepper, and jalapeño in cubes.
You can also sprinkle the cajun before adding the chicken stock. Even after the rice is cooked, you can place a smoked sausage on the grill, even red or black beans in the best style of Mexican cuisine. In case you are looking for a more Indian touch in the rice preparation, you can add an extra teaspoon of sugar, a teaspoon of cinnamon, golden raisins, and four cardamom pods before boiling.
Another striking variation to have a delicious Mexican banquet is to place the jalapeno and chopped onion while sautéing and sprinkling, with a touch of cumin before adding the chicken stock. With these variations, yellow rice will become the protagonist on your home table and you will surprise in many ways the palate of your guests.
How can you accompany this Arroz Amarillo?
If you want to enjoy yellow rice with other Latin-inspired dishes, you can do it with Mexican, Caribbean or South American cuisine, such as tacos al pastor, stewed meat, Jamaican brown stewed chicken, black bean skillet enchiladas, sweet potato, among others.
Thanks to this yellow rice recipe, as well as its variations, you can enjoy a typical rice in Mexican cuisine, creating a quick and easy dish, just like if you were in Mexico.